Columbia Camera Club (Astoria)

News Items and Advertisements:

1893: “The Columbia Camera Club was organized in this city yesterday. The officers are as follows: President, W. A Sherman; vice-president, J. R. Lytle; secretary, W. H. Timson; treasurer, G W Lounsberry. The object of the club is to stimulate interest in and the advancement of amateur photography. Lantern slide exhibitions will be given from views taken by members of the club.” The daily morning Astorian, November 23, 1893, Image 3, col. 2.

1893: “An arc-light for use in displaying stereopticon views has been invented by Mr. Foyer, the foreman of the Pacific Can Factory. It will be used upon completion in exhibitions by the Columbia Camera Club of this city.” The daily morning Astorian, December 16, 1893, Image 3, col. 1. (Nelson Foyer – q. v.)

1895: “AN EDITOR’S HARD LOT — ASSAULT ON ONE IN ASTORIA — The Cause Was an Article Which It Was Thought Reflected On the Camera Club.
ASTORIA, Feb. 2 — Another Astoria newspaper editor was in trouble yesterday, and warrants were issued today for the arrest of Phil Cook and C. Timson, charged with assault and battery on the person of C. Woods, brother-in-law of Representative C. J. Curtis, and editor pro tem. of the Herald. Those accused of the assault are members of the Columbia Camera Club, an organization composed of a number of the best young men in town, who took umbrage at an article that appeared in this week’s issue of the Herald. In the offensive article it was claimed that the young ladles who attended an entertainment given by the Camera elub, in being escorted to the hall, were compelled to pass through a disreputable part of the town; that the views in the exhibition shown were poor, and that the camera used was worthless. The article also cast a serious reflection on the character of the members of the club. When Mr. Woods was called upon, he denied having intended any insult, but his callers refused to accept the explanation, and proceeded to chastise him. The editor clinched his assailant, and before any damage was done assistance arrived, and the combatants were separated. Several other members of the Camera club have promised to give Editor Woods a thrashing, and the outcome of the affair is awaited with interest.” The Sunday Oregonian, February 3, 1895, pg. 6 col. 1., also printed in The Dalles times-mountaineer, February 09, 1895, pg. 1, col. 6 and the The Lebanon express, February 08, 1895, pg. 1, col. 4.

COLUMBIA CAMERA CLUB. A Big Audience Enjoyed a Most Excellent Entertainment.
Perhaps the most enjoyable and best appreciated entertainment ever given by the Camera Club was the one which occurred last evening at the Odd Fellows’ Hall. The house was comfortably filled with the very best and most intelligent of Astoria’s citizens. The views exhibited by the club were most beautifully and effectively displayed, and comprised many new features not heretofore attempted by the club. Many of them were revelations to Astorians, as showing the wonderful progress made in photography and stereopticon science by the club. But the jem of the evening was a series of beautiful views illustrating the old ballad “Ben Bolt,” during wnich Mrs. F. J. Taylor rendered the song in a pleasing and sympathetic manner, while the views were exhibited. The program was pleasantly interspersed by vocal music, “living pictures,” and a parasol drill in which the following ladies kindly participated: Mrs. O. F. Hellborn, Misses Woods, Holden, Jewett, Rowe, Arndt, Tallant, Reed, Smith, and Woodfield. At the close of the program the floor was cleared and a few hours of pleasant dancing indulged in by those present.” The daily morning Astorian, February 24, 1895, pg. 4, col. 5.

1895: “In the Columbia Camera Club entertainment to be given tonight at Odd Fellows’ Hall, the electric lamp has been replaced by an oxo-hydrogen light which gives, a clear, steady light and is a great improvement over the one formerly used by the Camera Club. The club has gone to great expense in procuring the apparatus used in their entertainments, and should be encouraged by a packed house tonight. They have placed the admission fee at 25 cents, which entitles one to a seat in any part of the house.” The daily morning Astorian, February 22, 1895, pg. 4, col. 5.

Historic photos and images