John R. Edwards (Ballston)
Ballston, never much more than a crossroads, is now bypassed by the highway without a sign. Located near Sheridan, at the site of an early (1855) schoolhouse, it now has a single convenience grocery. Although Ballston is no longer on the map, it used to be a stop on a narrow gauge railway, which explains how a town of 105 could support a photographic studio.
John R. Edwards was the postmaster and operated a general store there until 1896, when he moved to Oregon City.
1891 POWI pg. 183 Ballston “Edwards, John R., postmaster and music teacher, photographer”
News Items and Advertisements
1896: “New Store in Town. Edwards Bros., formerly of Ballston, Ore.) are now opening up at Wisharts’s old stand — opposite the City Park on the hill — with a stock of bran (sic) new goods, comprising of calicoes, muslins, shirtings, linings,etc; lanes’ and gents under ware, hats, caps, boots, shoes, stationery, notions, nails, tinware, groceries, tobacco and cigars, and other articles too numerous to mention. … ” Oregon City enterprise, April 24, 1896, pg. 7, col. 5.
1904: “Real Estate Transfers … John R. Edwards et ux to Peter Cook, lot 1, block 1, Ballston, $100. …” Polk County observer. (Monmouth), September 16, 1904, pg. 4, col. 4.
Ralph Friedman, In Search of Western Oregon, Caldwell; Caxton, 1990 pg. 193-194. (source of historical information about Ballston)