Alice L. Gibson (Portland)
The Gibson Company took over, succeeded or renamed themselves from a gramophone store formerly at this location in downtown Portland around 1904. The Gibson Company began offering amateur photo developing and printing. The building may have been owned by Charles Butterworth, whose photo studio and residence were upstairs. It is possible that Butterworth’s darkroom handled their photofinishing, or another possibility was that they shared darkroom space.
1904 PCD pg. 411 “Gibson, Alice L, mngr Gibson Co, bds 350 Jefferson”; “Gibson Co, Alice L Gibson mngr, photographic supplies, 345 Washington”
News Items and Advertisements:
1904: “Columbia Hard Moulded Records 25¢ For use on the Graphophone (sic) or Phonograph. Gibson Company, 345 Washington St., Portland” Oregon daily journal, December 10, 1904, pg. 2, col. 7. (repeating ad)
1906: “Photo Supplies. Eastman Kodaks and Films. Developing and Printing for the Amateur Photographer. Gibson Company, 345 Washington St., Portland, Or.” Morning Oregonian, January 31, 1906, pg. 9, col. 5.
Oregon Camera Club, Sixth Annual Print Exhibition, October 29 to November 3 1900, Portland; np nd, unpaginated, “List of Members…Gibson, Miss A. L. …”